Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Installing a SSL on a synology DS

I assume you are running OSX or Linux and have openssl installed.

Follow the steps below to create and install the SSL

1. Open a terminal and type the following commands. The first command will ask for a paraphrase. The same paraphrase will be required by the other commands.

  • openssl genrsa -des3 -out my.key 2048
  • openssl rsa -in my.key -out final.key
  • openssl req -nodes -new -key my.key -out request.csr
  • openssl x509 -req -in request.csr -signkey my.key -out certificate.crt -days 3650

2. The above commands will create the key and the certificate. They will be stored in my.key and certificate.crt respectively.

3. Login to the DSM GUI, go to the control panel, DSM Settings, HTTP Service and click the button marked Import Certificate.

4. For the private key select my.key and for the certificate select certificate.crt. Reboot the NAS.